Saturday, June 19, 2010

Squash harvest, recipe idea, and question

Daniel brought in these beautiful squash this week. There are 6 butternut that are 1 1/2 to 2 pounds each and 2 trombone squash that are about 2 1/2 pounds each. I haven't decided what to do with the trombone squash but I need to figure it out fast because these are just the first 2 of many to come:) I've read different things about them. Apparently they can be cooked like a summer squash and, if cured, can be stored like a winter squash. I'll post more when I figure that out...anybody ever grown these?

I have several butternut squash soup recipes but I wanted to do something with them besides that this week since the heat index has been in the 100s and we certainly don't need to be warmed any more by soup in the evening! I found this great recipe for mashed potatoes that included butternut squash. I got the idea from a cookbook called 50 Best Mashed Potatoes



Basically all you do is make mashed potatoes as normal (boiling potatoes and adding butter, milk, and seasonings) but use butternut squash in place of about half of the potatoes. The recipe says to bake the squash but I boiled it.


1 butternut squash (1-2 lbs) pealed and cubed
1-2 pounds potatoes cubed
butter and milk (I used plain almond milk and a little bit of soy sour cream) to taste
seasonings -- I use salt, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley flakes, and fresh pepper

Boil potatoes and squash until tender. Mash together. Add liquid and seasonings. Enjoy!

Please respond with your favorite way to cook squash.

2 comments:

  1. I just can't believe you're harvesting squash already! Mine are just past the seedling stage! We've grown Tromboncino before - awesome, flavourful. Great raw in salads or for dips. Really good lightly steamed or grilled, although it does get mushy quickly! The whole long neck is great 'meat'. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete